Women Under-Insured

Whether a woman works outside the home or not, to be properly protected, the following types of insurance should be considered.

1) – Health insurance. If you are working and your company offers it, sign up. If you are self-employed, work part-time, or work at home, health insurance is important. Sickness can be expensive, for your care, and for the care of those you look after if you can’t.

2) – Life insurance. If you are working and use your income for family expenses, you need life insurance. If you are a single mom, you need life insurance. If you are a stay at home mom, you need life insurance. You can opt for term insurance, which covers you for a specific amount for a specified length of time, typically 10 or 20 years, or lifetime coverage. You can also choose permanent insurance, such as whole life, which builds a cash value that you can use later in life. It is more costly than term insurance, but the benefits are greater.

3) – Long term care insurance. The younger you are, the less expensive it will be. This insurance covers long term care costs not covered by regular medical insurance. It can cover your stay at a long term care facility, or in home care during an illness.

It can allow you to remain in your own home longer. If government subsidized care will not be sufficient, or your preference, long term care is important.

Remember that care costs are getting more expensive every year, your own savings may not support the care you wish so additional costs may have to be borne by children and family members.

If you are married or with a partner, it is essential they have adequate insurance coverage as well.

Statistically, women continue to live longer than men, your partner may say they do not believe in insurance, or they have adequate coverage through work or otherwise, but it may be you that will have to deal with the consequences for years.      

Contact Carol for more information on insurance, or a subject you would like covered in future.

0 views0 comments

HollisWealth® is a division of Industrial Alliance Securities Inc. a member of the Canadian Investor Protection Fund and the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada.

This information has been prepared by Carol Plaisier Investment Advisor for HollisWealth®, a division of Industrial Alliance Securities Inc. and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of HollisWealth®. The information contained in this website comes from sources we believe to be reliable, but we cannot guarantee its accuracy or reliability. The opinions expressed are based on an analysis and interpretation dating from the date of publication and are subject to change without notice. Furthermore, they do not constitute an offer or solicitation to buy or sell any the securities mentioned. The information contained herein may not apply to all types of investors. The Investment Advisor can open accounts only in the provinces where she is registered. For more information about HollisWealth®, please consult the official website at

Insurance products are provided through Hollis Insurance. Only services offered through HollisWealth®, a division of Industrial Alliance Securities Inc., are covered by the Canadian Investor Protection Fund.